Sunday, February 17, 2013

First Solo Business Trip

Who would have thought that after my Facilitation Mastery workshop in Singapore recently, I'll have an opportunity to do a business travel in Sydney, Australia on Feb 10-16. God's plans are really mind blowing.

This time, I travelled to personally observe a big and complex project that my manager has tasked me to manage overall delivery readiness that will be rolled out globally. This is also my first time to only have my luggage, books, and laptop as my companion all throughout.

The whole experience was unforgettable. I feel I was the main character in Eat, Pray, Love movie who is looking for something in her life. All my friends have known me as a strong, go-getter, and confident person, but deep inside I always have what ifs in my mind. What if I can't relate with the new culture, what if my foreign colleagues would judge me for being young and innocent, what if I will not enjoy, what if, what if, what if. Thank God, these thoughts did not last.

Solo Adventure
When I was in the airplaine going to Singapore and Sydney, I just enjoyed everything - good movies, sumptuous food, inspiring books, and comfortable seat to rest and lay back. Getting to an airport for the first time is weird - friendly immigration officer, different colors of skin and hair of people with different languages and gestures, and fresh air that seemingly welcoming me to the new world. From the moment  I stepped in Sydney, I feel I would love being there and would definitely go back.

When I put all my stuff in the hotel in a Sunday morning, I maximized the remaining hours to walk around the city. I saw nice architecture of buildings, struck by the beauty of opera house and harbor bridge, and surprised by cost of food and pasalubong stuff whenever I'm converting them in peso (haha, expensive!). Then, when the sun has set, I returned to the hotel to rest for another set of adventure at work.

HP Sydney Office 
Monday and it's my first time to go to HP Sydney Office to attend coach prep session and business meetings. It took 45 min. to travel from my hotel to the office. I love the building because it has a lot of trees.  Then, I am so happy to finally saw my foreign colleagues who are locales, from US, UK, India, NZ, China, etc. I don't mind if they are taller than me, I just enjoyed shaking hands with them, hugging people I'm closed with already, and conversing about work and other non-work stuff.

Then by afternoon, someone opened the door in a meeting room. A lovely lady wearing red blazer who run to hug me and say her warmest welcome and hello. It was my former manager who opened doors of opportunities and development in HP. I feel it was a dream come true appreciating I am working in a virtual world.



EG Sales Competency Workshop
This is it. The 3 day-large event with 400+ HP Sales force and Channel Partners finally started. Inspiring kick-off with cool speeches. Everything went smoothly from first to last day. HP L&D leaders also attended to observe and join business meetings in between. I savored every moment to listen, learn, help and engage.

On the last day of the workshop, which was also Valentines day, we had L&D Team dinner at an Italian restaurant. I love the food, wine, and laughs in between.

Here's our group picture.  Beautiful people, aren't we?

Play by ear
It was Friday and I feel I deserve to maximize my last day in Sydney to see what other wonderful things out there.  Good thing I have two other colleagues who were game to join me. We went to Taronga Zoo and Watsons Bay through Hop on Hop off ferry. I really enjoyed the whole experience - the food, the ferry ride ( I love standing in the front), the koala, platypus, and kangaroo, the hidden treasure in Watsons bay, and being with two guys who would just join you having fun.



I was bloated by wonders of what I've seen, I've felt, I've experienced, and I've learned. It was such an extraordinary blessing I have never imagined I would experience in my early twenties. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...